Shoulder and elbow injuries in children are on the rise.
Damage to the UCL – ulnar collateral ligament is often caused by pitchers throwing too much and can be difficult to repair.
- overuse is preventable
- warm up properly by running, stretching and easy throwing
- rotate players in other positions
- Be aware of age-appropriate pitching
- don’t pitch on consecutive days
- discuss how your player’s arm is feeling
- encourage skills that are age appropriate
- encourage good mechanics and control
- speak with the athletic trainer or sports medicine physicians at All American Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Institute if you have any concerns
Learn more about how to prevent and treat sports related injuries: http://www.stopsportsinjuries.org